History of Freemasonry in America
History of Freemasonry in Tennessee
History of Freemasonry in Montgomery County
History of Queen City Lodge No. 761
Foundations and Dispensations
In 1954 an idea was conceived by several Past Masters and others of Clarksville Lodge Number 89 to form a new Lodge. The necessary petitions were obtained from the Grand Lodge in Nashville. Twenty-three brothers signed the petition, which was considerably more than the required 15. Brother Maurice Johnson proposed the name “Queen City Lodge”. Since Clarksville is called the Queen City of the Cumberland, The name was thought fitting and was adopted. Officers were designated, and met with the Committee on Dispensation and by-laws of the Grand Lodge to tell them of the desire to form Queen City Lodge.
During this formative period the committee was counseled by Brother Lucien Connell, a past Grand Master of Tennessee who lived in Montgomery County. Upon presentation of the petition to the Grand Lodge in March of 1955, it was approved and the Lodge was granted a dispensation under which it operated during 1955. Examination of Lodge records at the end of 1955 proved satisfactory and the Grand Lodge of 1956 issued the Charter. Chartered by the Grand Lodge of Tennessee on March 29, 1956.
Each charter member contributed to “get the ball rolling”. At first, the Lodge rented the second floor of the building later used by Senior Citizens, then we moved into the Lodge Room of the Odd Fellows on the top floor of their building at the corner of Third and Franklin Streets. During the 6 and a half years at the hall at Third and Franklin, the Lodge grew very rapidly with many happy and memorable nights.
Through the years the Lodge was able to save some funds and in 1961, took the decision to buy the current building at 631 Franklin Street. The property was purchased through charter members, Lynn Allison and Wilber Wallace. With approximately 11,000 dollars received in donations and 30,000 dollars that was borrowed at 6% interest from the First National Bank. The Lodge Room was then built at the back of the building that including the excavation and construction of the basement. The house at the corner of Seventh and Franklin that adjoined the lodge property was purchased. It was used as rental property for several years and then burned with the assistance of the local fire department and the lot converted into a parking area. Through the good offices of several brethren a flagpole was erected on the corner of Seventh and Franklin Streets.
Lodge Officers 1959
Front Row: Maurice Dowdy, James Dean Moore, Russell William Herndon, Robert Stetson Harvey – Sec.
Back Row: Truman Izear Hester, John Russell Meacham, William David Kennedy – W.M., George Ray Marable, Sam Austin
(Photos and information provided by P.M. John Nicholas Sharp)
Bro. Junior L. Biter elected Worshipful Master
Bro. Robert S. Harvey elected Senior Warden
Bro. Thomas P. Knapp elected Junior Warden